Voices of the 3%

Who are the 3%?

Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are the first inhabitants of the land now called Australia. We constitute 3% of the current population of the country.

Soon, all Australians will be asked to make a decision about changes to the Constitution relating to Aboriginals and Torres Straight Islanders.

Because Indigenous communities now comprise only 3% of the total population of Australia. This means effectively the other 97% will be making that decision on our behalf.

We ask you to listen to what we have to say. It’s important that you fully inform yourself before voting yes or no.

The commonwealth government wants to hold a referendum in which it will propose amendments to five elements of the constitution. According to the Recognise campaign, which supports such changes, this will ‘…bring the country together after so many chapters apart.’

However, many Aboriginal people argue that these changes are tokenism and will only be used to ameliorate white guilt.  

Right now, there is a one-sided debate taking place. YOU can help change that.

By adding your voice to the Voices of the 3% interactive campaign.

Simply upload a video voicing your opinion to our website voicesofthe3.net

The Australian government would like the general populus to believe that this is an issue that doesn’t require debate. THE GOVERNMENT IS WRONG.

The Recognise campaign receives bipartisan support and millions of dollars in funding. It calls for all Australians to back constitutional change, and argues that this decision is simple.

It argues that it’s black and white. That we’re all Australians. That we deserve equal rights. That it’s the next step towards reconciliation.

But it’s not that straight forward.

If fact, many of our people don’t want the proposed changes to go ahead.

We’ve been campaigning for a treaty for decades. Many believe now’s the time we should be discussing a treatynot the constitution.

Unlike countries such as the US, Canada and New Zealand, Australia is the only Commonwealth nation that has never entered into negotiations about a Treaty.

But this is not the only reason for resisting constitutional recognition. There are many reasons why we don’t necessarily want this to happen.

It’s time to recognise the voices of those who are not being represented in the main stream media. Please take the time to listen to what we have to say.

Web: Voicesofthe3.net

Facebook: Voices of the 3%

Twitter: @Voicesofthe3

Instagram: Voicesofthe3

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s